Sunday, November 30, 2008

Final Response

            After discussing multiple types of Industrial Design in today’s society I found myself lost. Trying to connect to green design and artistic design was an obstacle for me because of my lack of interest. Even though I am extremely concerned for the well being of the environment I believe that these severe problems are meant to be solved by scientists and engineers. Industrial Designers can only help with product and packaging materials which is a less important topic when it comes to pollution. Even though I couldn’t connect to most of the subject matter that was presented in class I am interested in other aspects of design.

            When I first started Industrial design at R.I.S.D. I was intrigued in electronics design and medical design. However after a year of education and research I realized that I was a completely different designer than what I thought. Having a product that would change the way people experience life was my interest. Aspiring to have large scale ideas, I started designing and engineering types of medical equipment and generators. After entering a sustainable technology contest NASA was hosting I realized I that I would like to pursue a design and engineering path. But even though I have no engineering education I enjoy simple engineering work. Along with this different design style I am also interested in a business approach to Industrial Design. Being a designer allows us to enter any obstacle and solve it with an abstract and intellectual approach. In the business world there is a craving for designers because unlike business men, designers are not constricted by money to influence their decisions. With this entrepreneurial mindset I hope to use my R.I.S.D. education to find a way to connect all three of these different professions into one. 

            Through my blogs I tried to subtly show what kind of designer I am. There were two main themes that reoccurred through the semester. Military design and entrepreneurs were the main topic of my design assignments. Starting from the timelines there was a theme of using military power as an abstract portrayal of light, I later translated military design into a more coherent presentation. Using a ray gun to physically affect people was interesting to me due to its non lethal effects. Also using the newest technologies available, the military is able to develop any idea their engineers and designers have. Other than this vastly funded program I am also interested in today’s entrepreneurs. People such as Stephen Starr are an inspiration to me because of the self motivation and creativity they behold. Stephen Starr is a prime example that if someone has a good idea and believes in it, then it is possible to succeed in life. Now after twenty years and twelve restaurants later he is one of the leading restaurant owners in NY City. These different types design interest me because of the various possibilities that both the military and also business field can offer.

No comments: